POSITION: Surplus Sale Receiving Manager
Palouse Habitat Surplus Sale Mission: Generate revenue to support Palouse HFH’s home build and repair programs, offer an affordable local option for home improvement materials, and promote reduce-reuse-recycle culture in our community.
Palouse Habitat for Humanity Mission: Serving our neighbors in need by working to eliminate poverty housing on the Palouse and worldwide.
Position Summary: Lead receiving, processing and display of donated inventory at the Surplus Sale. Maintain floor displays, ensure quality control of inventory and safety of retail space. Be a positive representative of Palouse Habitat for Humanity, its mission and programs while interacting with customers, donors and the public. Drive Surplus Sale truck with staff or volunteers to pick up donated items and deliver purchased items. Follow Palouse Habitat for Humanity Surplus Sale and Habitat for Humanity International (HFHI) ReStore policies and practices, and ensures persons working with the Receiving Manger are informed and follow those policies and practices.
- Ensure high level of donor, customer and volunteer satisfaction.
- Ensure donated items are cleaned, tested &/or repaired, and displayed appropriately and safely.
- Keep retail displays and walkways, exterior sidewalk, receiving and disposal/recycling areas orderly, clean and safe.
- Watch for donations appropriate for home build and repair projects, set aside for Construction and Home Repair Teams. Otherwise, seek to maximize donations to the sales floor and minimize amounts sent to landfill.
- Assist donors and customers with loading and unloading items.
- Evaluate and screen donations based on appropriateness, safety, and Palouse Habitat Surplus Sale rules.
- Walk Surplus Sale building each workday for safety concerns and address them. If repairs or other action needed, report them to Manager and develop response plan.
- Maintain Surplus Sale tool inventory.
- Responsible for truck for maintenance and repair needs. Report to Manager.
- Be informed of and follow Surplus Sale and HFHI Policies, Palouse HFH programs and mission.
- Able to safely lift objects weighing 50 pounds or more on a repetitive basis, more with assistance.
- Physical ability to sit, walk, stand for most of the day while carrying out duties.
- Work well within a team and with the public. Experienced working with volunteers.
- Strong communication skills. Ability to create a positive workplace atmosphere and cultivate positive donor and customer relationships.
- Self-starter with good attention to detail and follow through.
- Willing and able to work indoors and outdoors.
- Flexible and adaptable given unexpected situations in work environment.
- Experience in do-it-yourself home repair, construction and renovation, nonprofits and/or retail
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Driver’s License, strong driving record and reliable personal transportation.
- Half time. Hours flexible as agreed on with Manager, although Saturdays required.
- Federal holidays, and the weeks of Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year’s off (nonpaid)
- Location: Based at 304 N. Main Street in Moscow, but will require driving around Latah and Whitman Counties
- Reports to Surplus Sale Manager
- Open until filled.
Note: Palouse Habitat for Humanity is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin or disability.
Updated 7/10/20 JW